Monday, January 17, 2011

Addicted

I am addicted to watching the DVDs of ' Lost Gardens' with Monty Don and his team. I don't know where I was when this first came on TV but I can't believe I missed it.


 After slaving away in the garden on Friday & Saturday hefting rocks to remake borders and raking and wheelbarrowing three and a half tonne of gravel I thought I deserved this treat. Not to mention that my poor old back was also screaming at me to rest.

It has taken nearly four months to rebuild the driveway to the backyard after the pool excavators churned up everything in site; busting pipes, gouging deep tracks and squashing plants. The hard work is now done and it looks almost presentable. No more looking at dirt and mud, Yeah!

I really could have done with Monty and his team of experts, 30 volunteers and bag loads of money. I am really enjoyed the blend of history, gardening, art and story. My favourites are the restoration of the Coleman's mustard founders Japanese garden, the Victorian pleasure gardens and the sunken rose garden at Warwick. It is also inspiring to see their passion for gardens, watching them work despite all kinds of weather and their ambitious ideas actually come to fruition. I also recently read somewhere how Monty Don credited gardening with helping him through the challenges of depression.

Now I am on the hunt for 'Around the World in 80 Gardens'. For now my back is rested and I better get back to work in my pleasure garden, re-energised and reinspired (if thats a word).

No comments:

Post a Comment